Friday

The Odyssey, Homer, Poussin and Me

One of my favorite things about Art History is tracing the uses of mythology and classical motifs in art. For example, the myth of the Minotaur and the Labyrinth I think is illustrated wonderfully in this fresco from Pompeii.

 And in these Greek works:



 

Virgil's Aeneid was likely the point of departure for this portrayal of Laocoon and his sons.




A favorite of mine is Ovid's Metamorphosis. Here's Narcissus by Poussin:

  But one of my all time favorite works of lit is the Odyssey and the tale of the Cyclops and  how the monster has been portrayed has always fascinated me.  Even in films like Cold Mountain and Oh Brother Where Art ThouSo I made a painting based on that myself:

 N.O. Body and Sy Klops, oil on canvas, 18"x24" oil on canvas painting by Kenney Mencher

No comments:

Post a Comment