Wednesday

Exhibition by Ohlone Faculty, Dina Rubiolo, in the Louie-Meager Art Gallery






Dina Rubiolo                                                FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
dinarubiolo.com
(510) 566-0619

Exhibition by Ohlone Faculty, Dina Rubiolo, in the Louie-Meager Art Gallery
January 25 – March 15th, 2013
Closing Reception: March 9th, 6-7:30 pm

“13th Avenue”

The title of the slide house references Gertrude Steinʼs writing about memory and her childhood home, in which she famously stated, “There is no there there.” Steins’ writing about memory is as non-linear as memory itself:

"...Ah, 13th Avenue was the same it was shabby and overgrown and the houses were certainly some of those that had been...yes it might have been 13th Avenue when I had been. Not of course the house, the house the big house and the big garden and eucalyptus trees and the rose hedge naturally were not any longer existing, what was the use, if I had been I then my little dog would know me but if I had not been I then that place would not be the place I could see...
If I remember what I remember then why do I remember that. I did remember that but it did look like that and so I did not remember that and if it did not look like that then I did not remember that. What was the use."
Gertrude Stein

This piece is comprised of almost 10,000  35mm slides that I solicited from strangers. I first constructed a screen, and then later the façade of a house with these slides. The slide house connects the passage of time with the domestic environment and the poses a number of questions about our memories. How do we know what we know? Whose memories have we retained? Are our memories based on our experiences or stories we have been told? Do we have an accurate narrative of our past, or, is our memory composed more of thousands of moments that may be random, layered, non-linear, borrowed, or created?

I collected the slides by putting ads on craigslist. By far, the largest batch I received, about 2,500, was from a gentleman whose family and friends would camp in the desert outside of San Diego in the 1950’s and 60’s. I have a special affinity for the design of this era and was completely enamored by the fashion, cars and travel trailers I found in this group of slides.  I spent a great deal of time engaged by the adventures of these strangers.

While constructing the screen, I began randomly combining two and three slides together and holding them up to the light. I was attracted to the painterly quality I found in the layered images, but soon became excited by the rich psychological potential I could create by combining multiple snapshots. I began superimposing my own narrative on their lives; making up my own memories of relationships and connections for people I never knew.  I printed the layered images on transparencies and built the retro styled light boxes painted with colors from the era to compliment the slide house.

The exhibition runs through March 15 with a closing reception on Saturday, March 9th from 6-7:30 pm.
I would like to extend special thanks to ChiSui Tsai and Oscar Guevara for their generous help with the installation.

# # #

For more information please visit my website at www.dinarubiolo.com or e-mail me at dinarubiolo@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment