Friday

A Rant about Teaching and Attendance

When I first started teaching almost about 20 years ago I was a bit of a monster. In the last 5 to 7 years I've kind of relaxed a little bit about picking on students for attendance and for showing up and even where they sit in the class. Last year it really seem to work in a notice the students had really great grades.

I've just given my first set of midterms, and I haven't been taking attendance is much as I should and I haven't been picking on students about attendance and taking quizzes that they're supposed to take. I've shifted a lot of responsibility to the students for them to take the quizzes online and the tests online as well.

I just went through my grade books. A lot of students haven't been showing up in a lot of students failed the first midterm. It's kind of freaking me out. Does this mean I have to go back to being a nasty little troll and yelling at the students about whether or not they come to class in order to be an effective teacher. Does this mean have to suffer from heart disease to be a good teacher?

Other teachers what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment