Sunday

Cool Black and White Show at Bash Gallery



January 2014
BashBlackwWhite ride_solidweb
 
Len Davis

1000_Words75 2
A Thousand Words #75
Len Davis

 
start quote I have eclectic taste. That's why I'm so fascinated by the use of mixed media. I like mixed media because of the outcome of combining several elements, creating various textures and color to evoke a thought and mood in the stories I tell. It's like a pizza with everything on it. Once you take that first bite, you're inundated with flavor. And that's what I strive for in my work.
I work in assemblage, collage, drawing, and works on paper. I use lots of found objects, drawings, print outs, text usage, graphite, color pencil, gouache, acrylic, pastel, etc. My pieces deal with life itself: the people we are, what we create, our capabilities, and the issues with which we deal. My premise is to lure the viewer in. Once they're in, they will be placed in a position to reflect on and question their ethics, be it disquieting or placid. endquote

Len Davis

Adrienne Simms

war

The Four Horsewomen, War, 2013
Adrienne Simms

 
start quote 2 The end of the world has been prophesied, theorized and televised, from the early texts of the Bible to Hollywood blockbusters. Modern-day issues like pandemics and global warming have re-invigorated the conversation about the possibility of life as we know it coming to an end. Whether it's the apocalypse, or one's own death, it is humankind's burden to know that it will all end, someday. The images in the series Apocalipstick are literal, and not-so-literal, interpretations of the end of the world, and the emotions that stem from it. endquote 2 Adrienne Simms

David Fenton

ulysses

Ulysses, 2013
David Fenton

 
start quote 6 The child of an odd pair, an existential painter and social worker, I was born in New Haven, CT. Dad was a professor of Abstract Expressionism at Pratt and would speak at length of how rich life was amidst the inventive and passionate creatives he rubbed elbows with - artists like Rothko, Warhol, Pollack, Dekooning, Johns, etc. My childhood was anything but casual. At nine, I identified with Max, of Where the Wild Things Are. When chaos arose, my imagination would seize control and take me on voyages through sun-blasted hills, or carry me into an ambient night on the wings of a silent owl.

A self-taught artist, after years of bending my creativity to work in advertising, design, and magazine publishing, I worked with a brilliant art director who helped me to realize my visual longings. Thus was born an intoxicating compulsion to create original art, and I've made it my full-time vocation. Now residing in Northern California, I create works that explore the liberating authenticity of imperfection while seeking to inspire change by provoking new perspectives. All of this is done with an end goal: to evoke the realization that if we make the commitment to remain curious, ultimate choice exists in every moment.endquote 6 - David Fenton

 

HNY

 

Artists:
Robert Bowen
Marc Burckhardt
Jeff Christensen
Dave Correia
Graham Curran
Larkin Cypher
Len Davis
Bob Dob
David Fenton
Caitlin Hackett
Joshua Harker
Gale Hart
Ian Huebert
Larissa Kulik
Alexandra Manukyan
Nathan Ota

Pee Monster
Paolo Petrangeli
Ransom & Mitchell
Lee Harvey Roswell
Adrienne Simms
David Stoupakis
Christopher Ulrich
Danny van Ryswyk
Stefanie Vega
Sandra Yagi

Black & White in Color

January Group Show
featuring the work of: Bob Dob, Caitlin Hackett, Pee Monster, Len Davis, Lee Harvey Roswell, David Fenton, and Adrienne Simms

 
Graphite, watercolor, pen, and ink have never looked more impressive as they do in the exhibition Black and White in Color. Seven artists each working in their own unique way individually, and in combination, with these mediums create an impressive array of paintings and drawings. Visit the gallery to see Black and White in Color; you won't be disappointed.

Artists will be in attendance at the reception Saturday, January 11th 6-9 pm.
 
BlackandWhite Front 4
 
Exhibition
January 10, 2014 - February 8, 2014

 
Artist Reception
Saturday, January 11th
6-9PM
 

Bob Dob
 
ridefun
Ride Fun, 2013
Bob Dob
 start quote 5 I love to create worlds where the dark side of human nature is present. Life isn’t always good times. While in our youth we experience many things we would rather forget, but this is what makes us who we are. It defines us. That’s why my characters have an adolescent quality to them. I’ve been very fortunate in experiencing and hearing many great stories, which now find their way into my paintings. I guess the best way to describe my profession is I’m a visual storyteller. endquote 5 - Bob Dob

Caitlin Hackett

feral_daughter_lowres
The Feral Daughter,  2013
Caitlin Hackett
 
start quote 3 I create pseudo-mythical, mutated, and anthropomorphic creatures using ballpoint pen and watercolor as my primary mediums, almost exclusively on paper. With my work I attempt to capture the often volatile human-animal relationship. I am faced with the fact that we live in a planet in decline, where nearly every natural ecosystem in the world is withering away. Human kind has created a planet of refugees: animals forced to flee ever farther from the insatiable encroachment of urban development, victims of a war for space which they cannot hope to win.

My drawings refer to this decline and to the refugees it has created. I am left with the question of what is natural; are we (human beings) still a part of nature? If so, does that make all that we have created, cities, vehicles, factories, all technology, part of nature as well? As we try to separate ever more from our primal nature, will we be able to still see and understand the importance of other animals and our relationship to them? endquote 3 - Caitlin Hackett
 
Pee Monster

never wanted 2
Everything I Never Wanted,  2013
Pee Monster
start quote 4 I draw to communicate when I can't find the words. . . my art is a means of processing everything within and without my own perception.. it is a translation of what I feel, think, see, from my heart to the outside world. I am inspired by everything, and choose to live my life surrounded by love. I like to feel the universe move from under my skin.
Sometimes I feel like a dream is a release and sanctuary from what we perceive to be real..
In real, you're at the mercy of silly customs, culture, and society.. in your dreams you're at the mercy of every conscious and sub-conscious thought or idea that has ever entered the circuits of your brain through any and every means possible. I think we're truely free in our dreams and that's why we don't believe it's real... endquote 4- Pee Monster

 

Lee Harvey Roswell

Readying To Ring A Bellc
Readying To Ring A Bell
Lee Harvey Roswell

 
Lee Harvey Roswell is a self-taught artist from Freefall, New York, whose work is noted for its blend of angst and humor. Themes of death and entropy, tribulation and futility, run amok in his distinctly surreal, often-slapstick/often-nightmarish world. The result is at once mocking and melancholic. For the past decade plus his attention has turned almost exclusively to oil painting, though it's always a surprise what direction he'll steer things next. Lee now lives in San Francisco, and his work is shown, collected, and published internationally.

 

Browse our gallery:
BASH blkht logo
www.BashContemporary.com

210 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Gallery Hours
Tues-Fri.
11AM-5PM
Sat 12PM-5PM
and by appointment                                                                          Team Bash favicon 

Stay connected and get the latest news!
Be sure to stop by our Facebook: go ahead give us a "like".  Tweet us on Twitter.
 210 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102 | 415.926.8573

No comments:

Post a Comment